Both of us are recovering from colds. Even with 70 degree weather we got colds. Our friends in the Midwest who are experiencing a winter that just won't end, seem to be jealous of our "warm" winters.
Friday evening we went to the Tucson Symphony Orchestra concert -- a Tribute to Arthur Fiedler. The TSO's concert was arranged in a Fiedler style with 2 intermissions. The first third had classical music, the middle was for new/emerging artist, and the last third was the "pops." the emerging artist portion featured winners of the TSO Young Artist Competition. Taiko Ezaki, a 9-year boy, played the violin beautifully. Then Nicolas Mariscal, a high school junior, played his cello. Nicolas was no only the winner of the Young Artist Competition but he also won the Youn Composer's Project. So his "Espejos del Sur" composition was debuted by the TSO. It was very Latin in flavor and very enjoyable. After the seccond intermission we enjoyed the singing of Tamra Hayden, a soprano, who belted out songs from famous musicals -- Cabaret, My Fair Lady, Les Miserables, and more.
Saturday morning I enjoyed getting together with a friend I hadn't seen in many years. It was great to get "re-acquainted" after so long. Then I headed down to the Festival of Books. This is the first year that the Tucson has hosted this event. It was fun to wonder around the mall and see so many book vendors, authors, and anything related to books. I was fortunate to attend a talk by Jerry Scott and Jim Borgman, the creators of one of my favorite comic strips, Zits. I also attended the presentation by Stedman Graham. We are hoping to make it to the Festival on Sunday as well. The University of Arizona and all their partners put on a fantastic event for all ages today.
No comments:
Post a Comment