Sunday, June 26, 2011

Birthday Month Coming to an End

You know how people get one day for a birthday. Well, that's not the case in our house. Margaret gets the entire month to celebrate. And, what a celebration she had!!! I started the month out with a casual dinner with our friends, the Burhans. Andri's birthday is about the same time as mine, so we usually celebrate it together. I'm sitting in the restaurant and all of sudden in comes a woman who looks like my sister. But I think, no that's cannot be as she lives in New York state. But, wait, that is my sister! Tim had arranged for her to fly here to help kick off my birthday celebration! Was I surprised!
On Saturday we had a "girl day" and went for a mani-pedi and shopping. That evening we went to the AZ Sonoran Desert Museum. Each Saturday evening during the summer they are open late and we were able to take advantage of the cool evening and enjoy the night creatures. And, I discovered that Carol doesn't like spiders. Who knew?


On Sunday I was informed that I had to be away from the house for several hours while Carol and Tim prepared for a party. Needless to say, I was totally shocked to see so many of my friends come and help me celebrate my birthday. Brother Len from San Diego even came over. Tim and Carol did an OUTSTANDING job. Kudos to them. I can never say that Tim doesn't give me flowers. The house was full of red and yellow roses (64 from him and flowers from friends) and Carol bought me several flowering plants for our yard. Yes, it is a birthday celebration I'll remember forever.


Unfortunately, Carol had to head back on Monday. But still a few days is better than none. On June 9-12 Tim and I head to Prescott. He had an Enrolled Agent conference and I decided to tag along. It was nice to just relax. The rest of June we did some work around the home. Tim decided to start refinishing the doors (8 in all) and so he had to strip and sand them. Of course, we needed the right tool so we ended up buying a Dremel sander -- nice little tool. I would do the inside finishing of the door and varnish (pecan color if you were wondering). It has been so hot here (in the 110s) that we had to work early in the morning or late in the evening. But it got done and the doors look gorgeous.


Last night we decided to cap off the month long celebration by attending the Zizzling Summer Sounds concert series presented by the Invisible Theatre company at the historic AZ Inn. (It was a first time experience for both of us.) The featured artist was New York cabaret singer Ann Hampton Callaway. What a singer! (You might know her as she wrote the theme song for the TV show, The Nanny. She has also collaborated with Barbra Streisand.)


Our Tucson summer is just beginning and I have to say it has been a memorable one so far. We have gone over 75 days without any measurable rain and we have been with over 100 degree days since the end of May. I'm sure you have seen/heard the news about the number of wildfires we have going on in the Southwest. Our rain isn't suppose to arrive for another couple of weeks. Yet, in the Midwest they cannot get rid of the water fast enough. Our thoughts and prayers are with our friends and family who are in ND and dealing with the floods.

No comments:

Post a Comment