Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Girls' Weekend

Just wrapping up the 3rd Annual Girls' Weekend. This year I met my sister, Carol, and 2 cousins, Beth and Catherine, in upstate New York. We attended the YMCA Camp Gorham Women Adventure Weekend. We shared a cabin with 8 other women; most of them were friends from Carol's work. Other than the mattress on a bunk-bed plywood, it was great.


It was fun to experience different activities...archery, mountain biking, self-defense, jumping pad, and kayak to name a few. I found I really enjoyed archery and I'm pretty good at it!!

The first morning the sunrise kayak looked like so much fun that I wanted to do it the 2nd day. On Sunday morning there was fog on the lake and everyone thought that it would burn off shortly (no so!). So I'm off kayaking the first time in my life and I couldn't really see where I was going!

The lake was beautiful, especially when one could see the reflection of the trees/mountains in the lake.

Looking forward to our 4th year...


While on vacation also visited Fort Stanwix National Monument
Wrapped up the week at Mirabeau Inn & Spa.  Had a massage, which felt great after the adventure weekend, got pampered, and a lovely lunch.

If you are ever in the Syracuse area, you should visit Cope Shrine, located at the base of St. Joseph's Hospital. St. Marianne Cope, a Sister of St. Francis of the Neumann Communities, was canonized Oct. 21, 2012. She is the first Franciscan woman from North American to be canonized, and only the 11th American saint. A woman of great valor, this beloved mother of outcasts, spent her early years in central New York where she served as a leader in the field of health care, education and of her own congregation. Responding to a call to care for the poor sick on the then Sandwich Islands, she devoted 35 years to caring for those afflicted with Hansen’s disease on Kalaupapa, Molokai, Hawaii.


No comments:

Post a Comment