Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Northern Arizona













We drove up to northern Arizona this past weekend. Tim thought we were back in North Dakota -- the weather was horrible. It was SUPER windy! Driving back on Sunday we even encountered snow.

This trip was really part of the a work-related trip. I was suppose to do some training in Winslow, but they called on Friday morning and asked to postpone the trip. We couldn't get a refund on our hotel so we decided to go anyway. We stayed at La Posada (http://www.laposada.org/). Mary Elizabeth Jane Colter was hired by Fred Harvey to design the hotel. It embodied her vision, from its architecture down to its finely crafted details. The hotel closed in 1957 for 40 years. Then a couple purchased the hotel in 1997 and rennovated the hotel. It is absolutely beautiful hotel. Each room is named after a famous person. We stayed in the Mary Pickford room.

On Saturday we stopped in at Meteor Crater (http://www.meteorcrater.com/index.php) before heading into Winslow. The winds were well over 40 mph. When Tim got out of the car, a gust of wind caught the door and broke the hinge! We were fortunate that the wind didn't take the door off.
On our way back home on Sunday we stopped at IKEA (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/) and purchased a table for our printer. Tim put it together on Monday and it looks great in our office. On our way out of Phoenix, another car gave us a warning about a possible problem with the car. Well, it turned out we had a flat tire! Tim changed it in less than 10 minutes. (Here I would have called AAA and waited who knows how long for them.) The good news is that the tire had a bead leak so no extra costs.

Southern Arizona is bracing for a winter storm. Snow is expected at 4,000 feet. So when I wake up in the morning I should see the snow on Mt. Lemon. Perhaps the cancellation of the training in northern Arizona was a blessing; Flagstaff got over 2 feet of snow the last few days.

2 comments:

  1. Love it!!!! You're going to have to get me blogging. I want to do one with all my papercrafts. I subscribe to different sites, but I can't figure it out.

    June

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aha! Now you have a taste of what I'm going through!
    today really windy, blowing snow, cant see five feet to drive, they're calling it "SNOWMAGEDDON". Frank said:"Remind me again why we live here.?"
    Really, I'm glad the hotel was as beautiful as you hoped. I remember you talking about it. Maybe Ill go there next time Im visiting.
    Carol

    ReplyDelete